-- RUN PROGRAM --
Is Bird talking?
YES - OK, you're safe for now
NO - See below
Is Bird asking a question?
YES - Answer Question with varying degree of wit
NO - See below
Is the race still going on?
YES - See Below
NO - Shut up
Say some sponsor cards, quick!
-- END PROGRAM --
2. It is warm.**
3. In 1937, Vernon Rudolph [founder of Krispy Kreme] opened his own store, deciding on Winston-Salem, North Carolina for the location when he learned that his favorite cigarette company, Camel Cigarettes, was headquartered in the small North Carolina city.***
5. Bike Shops Visited w/ Easiest Recalled Memory (chronologically ordered) :
- The Spindle ATL / Watermelon Punch + Fancy
- Atlanta Beltline Bicycle / Sick drop-in to the Beltline out back
- Loose Nut Cycles / Did not have Erin Young's**** Lock
6. There is a ton of kick-ass art in and around the City.
7. To the Caribou Coffee on 10th St. NE & Piedmont Ave - thanks for a little slice of home and your ridiculously great air conditioning/wifi.
8. To the Atlanta Cycling Festival - you're doing the good work. Hard to believe that was just your second year. I can't wait to see where you take this.
10. Atlanta, GA is sure to become a cycling hub for the Southeast in the coming years. It is impressive how far they have come and the momentum that can be felt. Like an energy buzzing beneath the surface. Between the ACF, amazing shops like the Spindle, MARTA and advocates like Atlanta Velo City, it certainly won't take long. These are dedicated, smart, engaging folks working towards a common goal.
So take some time and visit. You won't be disappointed.
And in the wise words of my new friend Alex - only go to Waffle House if you're drunk or hungover.
*Full Disclosure : Luke at Calhoun Cycle allowed me the use of one of their Brompton Bicycles for the trip in exchange for words typed on a keyboard. Of course the bike was flippin' rad so that wasn't difficult. Expect to see more Brompton antics on the blog soon.
****Track Heartthrob Extraordinaire
1. Mattio Montesano
2. Erin Young
3. Sam Morgan
4. Ben Hovland
5. Lilah Guertin
7. Brandon Krawczyk
8. The Adam Gorski
9. Nate Ryan
1. Fail·ure ˈfālyər/ noun :
a. Lack of success.
b. The omission of expected or required action.
2. Success is objective, though omission of the expected is not.
3. Unforeseen obstacles produce the best opportunities.
4. Walking two miles to knock on farm house doors ain't so bad when you get to meet chickens along the way.
5. Dirt is as cleansing as rain.
6. Friends who bring beats are some of the best friends to have. (EDITOR'S NOTE : Michael Mason)
7. I need a Saint Paul kit (but wow is this one beautiful).
8. The Route
1. It is relatively easy to get around the City using only your two feet, MUNI pass and good looks.
2. Bike Shops Visited w/ Easiest Recalled Memory (chronologically ordered) :
- Rapha Cycle Club SF* / Maple Bacon Raised Doughnut
- Sports Basement / Not exclusively in a basement
- Above Category / Fantastic natural light
- Mash SF / A dog pee'd on the door while I tried to take a photo
3. Randomly meeting Mark (member of the indomitable SFCC) at the Rapha Cycle Club SF. As he is a fellow Seven Cycles owner and as of such is required to be a gentleperson of the highest caliber, he took it upon himself to show me around the Marina District, Presidio, Golden Gate Bridge and Marin Headlands. It ended up being one hell of a good bike ride. You can check it out in this video he made.
5. SF2G makes it mighty easy for an out-of-town individual to make his/her way to Google from the Downtown area. Without Ben's guidance from the Millbrae BART/Caltrain station, I may still be lost in the wilds of Silicon Valley.
7. Strava has an entire second floor dedicated to Yoga, Stretching and other Well-Being-esq activities. I assume this is to properly recover from product testing on the way into work every day.
8. The predominant smell of Eucalyptus
9. If you order from Escape From New York Pizza, a medium is more than enough.
10. Everyone knows of, and misses, Mikesonn.***
* Kind of but not really a bike shop
** Thanks, Homer!
*** Not even true.
Welcome to the new home of the Minneapolis Musette.